The American Association for Marriage and Family Therapy (AAMFT) is the national professional association for the field of marriage and family therapy that represents the interests of more than 50,000 marriage and family therapists throughout the United States, Canada, and abroad.
Since its founding in 1942, the AAMFT has served as the pioneer for knowledge, research, education, and advocacy related to marriage and family therapy and continues to ensure that the public's needs are met by trained practitioners.
Clinical Members have met the highest standards of the profession for education and clinical experience. Associate and Student membership categories are available for therapists in training for clinical practice. Members of allied professions and other persons who are interested in marriage and family therapy are eligible to become Affiliate Members.
The association facilitates and fosters:
- Critical research
- Theory and skills development
- Standards for graduate education and training
- Clinical practices
- Clinical supervision
- Professional ethics
- 75 year legacy and the pioneer in support of MFT professional growth
- 50,000 members worldwide
- Nearly 2,000 constituents attend the annual AAMFT conference
- Ongoing symposia and other educational events regularly feature industry thought leaders and visionary programming
- AAMFT PAC supports candidates for elected office who support our initiatives
- AAMFT Minority Fellowship Foundation has received nearly $7 million dollars from SAMHSA
- AAMFT is devoted to MFT growth; i.e. The VA agreed to fund 45 paid positions for MFT interns over the next 5 years
- AAMFT works with "Joining Forces" to increase education and training of MFTs in PTSD and TBI
- Free liability insurance with AAMFT Student Membership