LGBT-Affirmative Psychotherapy Online Certification Program
This 32-hour CE certification is a remarkable training for clinicians everywhere. Those who are pre-licensed and clinicians out of the State of California are invited to take this course, but only licensed clinicians in California are eligible to receive CE credits. We believe this training will be an important addition to the growing field of LGBT affirmative psychotherapy and a vital service to the mental health profession and those we serve.
The certification training consists of a basic text, task force reports, journal articles, case studies, over five hours of original streaming video and material written exclusively for this curriculum. Most of the elements of the curriculum require completion of a post-test in order to move onto the next material. The 32-hour CE certification is self-paced.
Steering Committee members share a commitment to perpetuating the training unique to our profession that enables us to see the world through the lens of relationships and relational interventions, no matter how many people we are working with in the room. As MFTs, we contribute a distinct and critical perspective within the mental health care treatment continuum. Without MFTs, a concentrated focus on the interactional and systemic components of mental health care may not be maintained. Steering Committee members are in agreement about the importance of engaging in national-level discussions and efforts designed to proactively create the profession we desire in the future.
$250.00 AAMFT Members, $300.00 Non-AAMFT Members
(Note: for discount member code, please login to Members Only section, Certification)
For registration information, click HERE.
Psychologists looking for CE credit can register through Psychwest, Clinical and Forensic Psychology after completing this course: Click here.
To contact Psychwest call: (877) 360-2237
Psychwest is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. Psychwest maintains responsibility for this program and its content. Principals include:
- Kathleen Wenger: Pepperdine University
- Diane Gehart: California State University, Northridge
- Ben Caldwell: Alliant International University, Los Angeles campus
- Deborah Buttitta: Phillips Graduate Institute
- Mary Read: California State University, Fullerton
- Margaret Avineri: Jewish Family Service, Los Angeles
- Steven Tierney: California Institute of Integral Studies
- Graciela Orozco: San Francisco State University
- AAMFT: American Association for Marriage and Family Therapy
- AAMFT-CA: American Association for Marriage and Family Therapy – California Division
- APA: American Psychological Association
- Center for American Progress
- Gaylesta: The Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, Transgender Psychotherapy Association.
- Family Equality Council
- Gay Couples Institute
- Salvatore Garanzini LMFT
- Gay & Lesbian Medical Association
- Los Angeles Gay and Lesbian Center
- Mary Case CDVC
- Los Angeles Gender Center
- Marie Keller LMFT
- Elise Turen PhD
- Susan Landon LMFT
- Movement Advance Project
- Narrative Couples Center
- Charley Lang LMFT
- National Resource on Domestic Violence
- The Relational Center
- Mark Fairfield LCSW
- Laura Laurent-Varava MFTI
- Jessica Weissbuch MFTI
- Beverly Berg PhD, LMFT
- Theodore Burnes PhD
- Benjamin E. Caldwell, PsyD
- Jeffrey Chernin PhD, LMFT & Melissa Johnson PhD
- James Guay LMFT
- Jacqueline Hudak PhD & Shawn V. Giammattei PhD
- Keely Kolmes Psy D.
- Michael LiberatoreLMFT
- Christi McGeorge PhD LMFT & Thomas Stone Carlson PhD, LMFT
- Lucy Rimalower LMFT & Caren Caty PhD
- Rebecca Silverstein LMFT & Barry Bastian, LMFT
- Geri Weitzman PhD
- And clinicians and clients from throughout California.
Special thanks: Ralph Bruneau PhD, LMFT & Rebecca Silverstein LMFT, Eds.
The textbook, Affirmative Psychotherapy and Counseling for Lesbians and Gay Men, by Jeffrey N. Chernin and Melissa R. Johnson, is available for purchase before starting the curriculum. You will be able to successfully complete the post-test for the textbook at any time during this course. Sage Publications is offering a 25% discount on the price of the book (approximately $40) if purchased through the publisher. The discount code for the text purchase is located in the curriculum outline.
Although there is CE assignment indicated throughout the elements of the course, no partial credit will be awarded for the curriculum. All elements need to be completed for CEs to be awarded and the certification completed. Upon finishing the online curriculum, you will receive a certificate confirming that you have successfully completed this course of study and earned 36 continuing education credits.
Substance Use Disorders Online Certification Program
Presented By AAMFT-CA and The MATRIX Institute
This 20-hour CE Curriculum consists of a basic text and seven hours of original streaming video content. Please Note: The textbook, Treating Alcohol and Drug Problems in Psychotherapy Practice: Doing What Works, by Arnold M. Washton & Joan E. Zweben , is available for purchase before starting the curriculum. You will be able to successfully complete the post-test for the textbook at any time during this course. The 20-hour CE Curriculum is self-paced.
$250.00 AAMFT Members, $300.00 Non-AAMFT Members
*Text sold separately
To register click HERE
Presenters / Topics
- Sam Minsky LMFT, national trainer for the Matrix Institute on Addictions discusses substance abuse and the therapeutic environment. 2 CE hours
- Addiction Psychiatrist, Dr Karen Miotto, Director of the UCLA Medicine Service discusses drugs of abuse, in particular their effects and pharmacology. 2 CE hours
- Addiction Psychiatrist, Dr Karen Miotto, Director of the UCLA Medicine Service discusses drugs of abuse, in particular the cannabiniods, stimulants, and opiates. 2 CE hours
- Ahndrea Weiner LMFT, a Director at the Matrix Institute on Addictions, discusses different levels of care in substance abuse treatment. 2 CE hours
- Jeanne Obert MFT MSM, Executive Director and a founder of the Matrix Institute, discusses evidence-based treatment for Substance Use Disorders. 2 CE hours
- Ahndrea Weiner MFT, a Director at the Matrix Institute, examines Self Help Recovery Groups. Her presentation is followed by a panel of people speaking to their recovery processes (AA, Al-Anon, SMART). 2 CE hours
- Katheryn Whittaker LMFT, Clinical Services Director for the Matrix Institute, addresses addiction treatment for special populations: Women, criminal justice, LGBT, adolescents, and co-occurring disorders. 2 CE hours
Please note: Although there is CE assignment indicated throughout the elements of the course, no partial credit will be awarded for the curriculum. All elements need to be completed for CEs to be awarded and the certification completed.
The Transforming System: A Practical Handbook for Understanding the Changes in California Community Mental Health
This is a critical tool that focuses on Recovery Orientation to mental wellness that is the gold standard for healthcare in California and the United States. The Handbook is a comprehensive and practical resource that can be utilized by educators and supervisors to address the evolving changes in healthcare delivery systems.
Contents of the text are the product of a collaborative effort including contributions by clinicians, managers, educators, employers and consumers across the state of California. Discussion questions following each section provide useful guidelines for educators who are preparing classroom assignments. Beyond the classroom, this book is designed to be relevant and practical for students preparing for placement as well as for agency employees at all levels who wish to update their knowledge and practical application skills related to the changing systems of care.